Recipe credit: Ron Stainer
Enjoy with a glass of Ilsley Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon or Seis Primas.
These little Beef Wellingtons are a hearty appetizer for any festive gathering.
- 1/2 pound Trimmed beef tenderloin
- 10 Large Crinini mushroom
- 2 Finely chopped shallots
- 6 Cloves minced garlic
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 7oz. Frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 2 T Unsalted butter
- 2 T Olive oil
- 4 Sprigs of thyme
- 8 T Bleu cheese
- 1/2 Cup Ilsley Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut tenderloin into 1/2-inch squares and pat dry. Add Tenderloin to heavy skillet. Sear meat quickly in 1T oil and 1T butter(tenderloin will bake agian after being wrappedin pastry). Cover and chill tenderloin, about an hour.
- Saute shallots and garlic in a heavy skillet over moderate heat. Add thyme and thinly sliced mushrooms, cook until mushrooms are lightly browned. Add Ilsley Cabernet to mixture, cook completely.
- In a small bowl lightly beat eggs to make an egg wash.
- On a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper, roll out puff pastry to 4 in. squares.
- In the center of each pastry square place 1 tsp. blue cheese, 1 tsp. mushroom mixture and a piece of tenderloin. Wrap 2 corners of pastry over tenderloin and seal with egg wash. Wrap remaining two corners of pastry over tenderloin and seal the same way. Seal any gaps with egg wash and press pastry around fillet to enclose completely.
- Arrange Beef Wellington, seam side down, on a non stick-baking sheet. Chill left over egg wash for brushing on pastry before baking. Bake for 10-12 mintues or until puffed and golden brown.
These appetizers will pair nicely with a glass of Ilsley Cabernet Sauvignon or Seis Primas.