Recipe credit: Ron Stainer
Enjoy this terrific salad with a glass Ilsley Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon.
Roasted Portabella and Green Bean Salad with Marinated Flank Steak
- 3 portabella mushrooms roasted and cut into thick slices
- 1 pound green beans blanched
- 2 red Peppers roasted, peeled and seeded
- 6 large sweet basil leaves cut and very thin strips
- 1 pound flank steak marinated, prepped and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Tomato herb marinate for flank steak
- 1 Cup tomato juice V8 is fine, spicy V8 is even better
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp.Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dry oregano
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Rosemary chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 pounds Flank Steak
Tomato-Herb Marinate for Flank Steak
- Combine first five ingredients, with two incorporate, slowly add the oil. Add garlic. This can be made three days in advance. Place the steak in the marinade overnight period be sure the marinade coats the meat well. Before cooking the meat, shake off access marinade in season well with salt and pepper. Grill or sear the steak over high heat for 4-5 mins. per side, until you have 150 degree internal temp. For medium rare. Allowed to rest on the cutting board for five to 10 minutes before slicing.
Protobello Mushroom and Green Bean Salad
- To roast Portobello mushroom, take off the stem and place girl side up on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and drizzle a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. Place in a 450 degree oven for 7-10 minutes. Or until liquid appears on the mushroom center. The center should give a little when pressed with a finger. Allowed to cool gill side up then cut into strips about the same width of green beans.
- Wash beans. Place beans into rapidly boiling water for about 1 minute. Remove and place into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Once cool dry the beans and cut them in half.
- Roast Peppers over open flame or in a very hot oven until blackened. Place blackened Peppers in a paper bag too cool. Once cool, peel off burnt skin, remove seeds and cut into strips.
- Combine 1- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar with 1 Cup extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl and whisk to incorporate. Reserve.
- In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, asparagus, Peppers, basil and steak, tossed together season well with salt and pepper, then slowly drizzle balsamic vinaigrette over salad while tossing. Check and adjust seasonings. Serve.
Hot Tips: Prepare all your ingredients a day or two before. Combine the day of use. Conserve the juices from the mushrooms and Peppers to use in the vinaigrette. Make sure to taste and strain them so that there are no off flavors and no seeds or skins.